California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB) is centrally located in the heart of California—the San Joaquin Valley, a confluence of industry and agriculture. In the midst of the valley is the city of Bakersfield, an affordable mid-sized American community that more than 350,000 people call home. Bakersfield’s central location makes major cities like Los Angeles, Hollywood, San Francisco and San Diego just a car ride away. In California, you’re never far from the beach, mountains, swimming or skiing!
City of Bakersfield: 383,512
Metro Bakersfield area: 543,400
Kern County: 884,788
Bakersfield is the ninth most populous city in California, and the 52nd most populous in the United States. The median age of Bakersfield's population is 30.2, which is younger than both California (35.6) and the U.S. (37.4).
Bakersfield is located in a desert climate, which provides plenty of warm, sunny days throughout the year.
Average high temperature: 76.8F (24.9C)
Average low temperature: 53.1F (11.7C)
Average annual rainfall: 6.5 in. (16.51 cm)
Sunny days per year: 272
Size and Elevation
Elevation: 403' above sea level
Square miles: 150.43
Population density: 2,547 persons / sq. mi.
The campus is within walking distance of many great shops, markets, restaurants, and movie theaters. Other noteable attractions around the city include:
- Pro sports: ice hockey, auto racing and basketball.
- Bakersfield Community Theater is the oldest continually operating community theater in California, and the second oldest amateur community theater west of the Mississippi.
- Home to Bakersfield Jazz Festival since 1986
- Home to Buck Owens' Crystal Palace, regularly nominated as Nightclub of the Year by the Academy of Country Music. The venue has won the award three times (1997, 2004, 2006).
- The historic Fox Theater in downtown Bakersfield opened on Christmas day in 1930. The theater has hosted many performances, including: B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Tim McGraw.
- More Basque restaurants than any other city in the U.S.
You can find even more great attractions by visiting the Bakersfield Convention & Visitor Bureau website.
Select images and statistics courtesy the Bakersfield Convention & Visitor Bureau.